The 2018 Guide to Starting Your Own Blog!
So you want to start a blog? That’s great! A blog can be so many things! It can be a diary, portfolio, venting space, and creative outlet all in one! Before you get started, it is important to identify your “WHY.” Why are you blogging? What is your end goal? Are you doing this for fun? Is it something you want to make money with one day? Write your goals down! Once it is down on paper, it is easier to visualize.
The next step is to think about how you are going to reach your goal. What are the tools that you need to help you reach your goal? I am here to help you with that so sit back, relax, stay awhile, and TAKE NOTES!
- Do I want a domain or a free blog? This is an important question because you are basically asking yourself, “Do I want to pay a monthly (or annual) fee or do I want something that is free?” There are definitely pros and cons to both. With my domain, I don’t have to worry about GoDaddy shutting my blog down if it feels my content violates their terms, whereas a free blogging platform could shut it down. This domain and all of its content is mine. I also like that I can do more as far as customizing it. If I don’t like it, I can change it. It also gives you more credibility as a blogger. That being said, if you are going to be a casual blogger, I would stick to a free blog platform such as Blogger or WordPress. There is a lot to be said about the simplicity of a free platform blog. If you want to make money with your blog eventually, then I would consider a domain. The prices are not unreasonable!
- What kind of content will I have? Think about the audience you want to cater to. Maybe you want to chronicle your everyday adventures being a wife and mom. Are you a fantastic cook? Do you have a penchant for fashion? Are you a traveler? It certainly helps to find your niche! If you mom blogger, do you like to come up with crafts for your kids? Post the craft process and results so others can do it with their kids! Do you love to cook? Post that crock-pot recipe so others can see it (trust me I’ll be there to see it too)! Do you like photography? Post your photographs for the world to see! One thing to keep in mind is that blogs are infinitely much more interesting when you have pictures throughout.
- How do I get people to visit my blog? I’m going to be honest here. It will take a while for your blog to get a ton of traffic, but you can speed it up by going to other similar blogs and leaving authentic comments. What are authentic comments? Authentic comments don’t look like this, “Come visit my blog. Thanks.” Authentic comments are written on two or more posts that look like this, “That looks like a fantastic recipe! I will definitely be trying that out next week!” or “Thank you so much for posting this craft to do with my kiddos! It has been raining a lot lately, so I know they will appreciate having something to do!”
- What kind of name should I come up with? The ideal blog name should be short, sweet, and memorable. There are some blogs that have longer names, but they are catchy and memorable. Some people even use their names. Once you’ve planned your content, you will better know the direction your blog is going to take. Your blog name should be a general name… it should cover all of your bases. You wouldn’t name a blog that has an occasional recipe post, “Eats & Treats.” You wouldn’t name a fitness and nutrition blog, “Musings of a Housewife.” Think about your content and your audience!
- Where can I find blog resources? The answer to this is easy peasy lemon squeezy: Google it! Pinterest it! If you are looking for free WordPress themes, Google “free wordpress themes.” If you are willing to pay, Etsy has some great WordPress and Blogger themes! Do you have great images or want to write pretty text to create images for your blog, but you can’t afford to buy Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom? Check out Pixlr.com! There is a ton of stuff out there, you just have to find it! 🙂
I hope that you found this helpful! Please comment and give me your feedback! What are some things that you find important when starting your own blog?